Thursday, July 26, 2007

I wanted to reply to some of Julie's hump day posts but don't want to muddy up my son's story.

Her latest is on political correctness. I mostly agree with her except for some terms that are now used to be derogatory to some people.

Someone in her comments mentioned her friend not wanting to be described at "diabetic". Well, I am not a fan of describing my son as autistic. I prefer saying that he has autism. We don't say that someone is "cancerous" or "canceric". We use that they have cancer. They are not all about cancer. Well neither is my son. He is not JUST about having autism. He is a more a typical child than he is not. I am guessing that people with diabetes feel the same way.

1 comment:

John Robison said...

When I rock back and forth, my teenage son says, "Dad! Stop being autistic!"

And people refer to me as an Aspergian all the time.

So I don't see anything negative about the phrase, "He's autistic."

If you think your kid is more normal than not, perhaps he's Aspergian too. I think that name has a better ring to it, but that's just me.